October 12, 2015

Scenic Woods Smackdown: Part 2

In late October of 2014, I made my first ever visit to Scenic Woods Golf Club, just south of the Hamilton / Stoney Creek area. It was a bitter cold day, but I put on a clinic, shooting 85 and getting my handicap factor below 20 for the first time in a long time. The performance was also among my Top 10 of all time.

Flash forward to mid October of 2015, when I decided to make my return to Scenic Woods. It was a beautiful, sunny day, with temperatures topping 20 degrees Celsius. It was very windy, but one can't be too picky this time of year. Once again, my performance was masterful. I equalled last year's score of 85, while knocking my handicap down to 18.4 in the process. The round easily joins those in my Top 10, pushing a couple of 86 results that came this year at Dragon's Fire to relative obscurity at positions 11 and 12.

The beautiful thing about this round was the degree of control that was displayed from start to finish. I had just one double-bogey, on a scorecard that was otherwise decorated with 6 pars and 11 bogeys. Too bad about that double – 6 pars and 12 bogeys has an even better ring to it. On hole #7, a par-3 that was playing just 140 yards, I hooked my 9-iron just enough to find a water hazard left of the green. After a penalty stroke, a pitch and two putts produced the offending double.

The opening hole at Scenic Woods is a straightforward par-5. I hit a fabulous drive to the left side, followed by a 5-wood that drifted slightly right. From 60 yards, an excellent shot gave me a chance at birdie. I judged the break perfectly, but came up just short with my putt. I tapped in for the easy par. In fact, I made par on three of the four par-5 holes on the course. Hole #10 was playing straight into a fierce wind, but I reminded myself to swing easily and hit a great drive. The 4-iron that followed was even better, as it pierced through the steady wind. Ultimately, I needed an up and down from beside the green to save par.

The 4-iron also featured prominently on hole #12, another par-5. Once again, it was my second shot and what a thing of beauty it was. Pure, pure contact and a lovely penetrating ball flight. I found the green with the lob wedge and 2-putt for par. Ironically, it was the shortest par-5 (hole #18) where I could only manage bogey. I hit a perfectly placed drive to the left edge of the fairway, leaving just 190 yards into the green for my second shot. Of course, I chose the 4-iron and decided to go for it. Water protects the entire right side, right up to the green, with bunkers on the left. Contact was pure, but the face was slightly open. I missed slightly right, hitting a slope that pushed the ball further right. I was pin high, but stymied by a big evergreen tree. My options were to flop one over the tree or punch one under. I went for the punch, trying to bump the ball into a mound on the edge of the green. Unfortunately, I cleared the mound and flew the green directly, easily skidding off the other side. After a good pitch and 2 putts, bogey was the result.

There were some lovely par-4 holes as well. On hole #6, I opted to drive the ball over a creek that crosses the fairway 125 yards from the green. There was no doubt I had enough distance to clear the hazard, but I struck a lone tree on the right side and actually had my ball bounce backwards. Fortunately, I was in the fairway and the tree branches were not impeding me in the least. I nailed the centre of the green and then 2-putt to finish.

Hole #8 is a short par-4 at just 317 yards. The wind was directly at our back, so I decided to go for it with driver. After a reminder not to overswing, I delivered a beauty right down the pipe. The ball finished just 10 yards off the front of the green! I pitched to within 5 feet, but burned the edge on the birdie try, settling for par. In fact, I barely missed about half a dozen putts. If half of those go in, this would have challenged for my best round ever. The most heartbreaking was a putt that was tracking dead centre, only to finish overhanging the cup on hole #5.

I have to share a few words about hole #11, since it is one of the more unique holes on the course. It's a par-4, but measures only 268 yards from the white tees. You can't go right at the green, as the hole is cut through thick woods and features an almost 90 degree dogleg to the right. The trees are extremely tall and for added measure, there is a creek crossing the fairway 50 yards in front of the green. A lone tree, also quite mature, protects the corner of the dogleg.

I tried to hit a 3-iron straight out past the corner, but the ball came out low and to the right. It actually missed the lone tree on the right side, heading straight to the extreme end of the fairway, right in front of the creek. When I walked up in search of my ball, there it was in the rough fronting the creek, just 60 yards from the flag. You couldn't thread a better shot in there if you tried for a million years. Very fortuitous indeed. I pitched on, leaving a makeable birdie, but this was one of those putts that I barely missed, settling for par.

While reading my blog entry for last year's visit to Scenic Woods, I felt I didn't give the course enough credit. Though I mentioned it featured a lot of nice holes, especially on the back nine, I also stated that I wouldn't go out of my way to return to the course. Having played it again, I have to change that. While the opening three holes are rather featureless, the remainder of the course is really quite well designed. It actually is a fun course, with significant challenge. No doubt, my performance there over two visits has something to do with my opinion, but I still think it's a good layout.

Score: 85
Putts: 35
Fairways: 7
Greens: 6
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment